Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I am not use to anxiety

Yesterday I talked to my boss for a little while. She is a really neat lady and we talk a lot outside of the context of work (aka we call each other at home to bitch about work). I have known for a while that our department is planning on restructuring its policies and its shifts. The proposed plan I heard was that we would implement three set schedules and everyone must fall inline with either the 7am-3pm (first shift) 3pm-11pm (second shift) or 11pm-7am (third shift). There would no longer be those extra shifts like 8a-4p, 10a-6p, or even my original bidded hours of noon-8pm (not that I have worked my bidded hours in MONTHS--too busy on frakkin' thirds). Well, here is where the anxiety comes in. While talking with her, she began to talk about what is happenening but then paused and said that she isn't really allowed to talk about it and I didn't push it. She said that she isn't at liberty to discuss the details of what is happening. Alls I do know is this. I was able to discern out of her that there may be two jobs in our department on the chopping block. Also that those two jobs would be taken from the two employees that have the least amount of seniority. The first is Landis who has only been down in our department for about 4 months. The next one on the block is me. Thats right, yours truly. I feel so completely helpless. I have been fired before and I have quit jobs before. This really doesn't fall into either of those catagories. I mean, there is absolutly nothing wrong with my job performance so it isn't even that there is anything I could do to improve myself to try to save my job. The only saving grace may be that since I am qualified to do other jobs in the hospital I will simply be reassigned within the establishment. I would be able to stay in the union position and keep my state job. The pay is really nice and if my job is abolished and I am reassigned, I keep my current pay grade. This is nice considering that the starting pay for Medical Assistants at the hospital start around $10-ish. I would transfer everything over with my current hourly wage (which is over $14 at this time and I am due for another raise in January). I really don't want to lose my job. I like it, I am good at it...(wait for it...) and gosh darn it, people like me! And I mean that! I have found quite a rapport with all the nurses and doctors that work thirds with me. Some of the nurses have even told me that they prefer me over the guy (Landis) that works the rest of the time and they even like me over the lady that use to work thirds (Michelle). Whatever. I am just anxious about maybe losing the job.

1 comment:

aMadArtist said...

Shelby, I want you to know that I love you!!! Keanu says "hi" from the far away planet of Columbus, Ohio as well!!! We miss you!! *hugs and kissies* Mwa