Well, here it is...8:10am and I am wide awake. Why is this noteworthy you ask? I worked third shift last night and I usually come home and go straight to bed. I get to crawl into a warm bed and drift off and get to deep sleep before the girls get up and the house gets loud. This sounds sooo appealing to me right now except that if I go lay down I will simply toss and turn for quite some time. :(
Ok, different subject. We FINALLY got our photos tonight from the lady we hired to shoot our wedding. Sure did take long enough. One thing I have to say about it is that you get what you pay for...truly. She was an amateur student looking to get her portfolio started and wanted to use our wedding pics to help her with that. She only asked for us to reimburse her for the overhead (she had to rent a large flash and needed $ to get to and from wedding stuffs) This total came to about $60. I know...a steal right? No...not really. I would say that for all the pictures that she did I am about 60% happy with her work. The other 40% was an honest waste of her talent and my time. She never once consulted with me about what pictures I liked or didn't like and then delayed getting them to us until all the post-editing was done--on 700+ photos!!! You've got to be kidding me!!! Anyways, there are some really beautiful pictures but how much of it was the location and how much was her skill? Not to mention, she did have some exclusive shots that no one else got of just me and Lucas. I really don't want to sound ungrateful but if she is trying to make this a career then she should have approached this a little more professionally. I would love nothing more than to be a professional photographer or be able to show off my photos to everyone. When I first met with her to go over details of the wedding and what would be expected of her as well as "interview her". Her experience seemed limited but what I had seen I really enjoyed (or else I would never have asked her). There was one thing that she said that bothered me very much. She went on about how a friend of hers just "takes a lot of photos but since she doesn't take them with a professional camera she shouldn't call herself a photographer...she is just someone who takes snapshots" W....T....F? You mean to tell me that I cannot call myself a photographer just because my camera is a high end point and shoot camera? That is just plain insulting! Photography is not determined by the equipment that one has but by the eye looking through the lens that must interpret what they see to how it will translate to the picture!! There are plenty of BAD photographers out there that have all the finest and up-to-date equipment and don't have an eye for it at all! I may not have the fanciest camera around but I feel that I certainly have an eye for art and beauty! Not to mention, I have had some formal training, not much, mind you and it was years ago, but I still carry with me all those lessons I learned. I have even taken some of her pictures and made them better just by cropping and framing them better! I really am upset about the whole thing. Her comment about "photographers" really pissed me off. Oh well. We are paying her only the bare minimum and not even going to entertain the thought of a tip. She wants to use us for a reference? Go ahead, be my guest...although she might not like what I have to say about it. I certainly will not be spreading referrals around for her. Not until she starts acting like a professional.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You're my Japanese Tourist master :) We have already had a discussion about this so you know what I have to say. No sense repeating it.
So I like Black and White, but I love color so much more. I'm into the vivid colors of fall and such and the black and white ones made me sad when I knew what colors were in my pictures.
Ha, my word verification is "mopho" ... Just found it humorous.
Post a Comment